EconReporter is an independent journalism project based in Hong Kong. Our mission is to develop a high-quality economics news analytic narrative which helps to broaden the coverage of economic news in Hong Kong mainstream media and to lead economics students in Hong Kong to learn more top-notch economics from the experts.
Established since 2014, we have been producing high-quality economic analysis and economics blog in Traditional Chinese for readers in Hong Kong, Taiwan and all around the world. Also, in cooperation with several media outlets in Hong Kong, our reporters have interviewed several elite economists and introduced lots of new economics ideas to the general public. You can find our Chinese articles at econreporter.com.
Where is the General Theory of the 21st Century?
Since mid-2016, we have been developing an English side project — an interview series called “Where is the General Theory of 21st Century?”.
The mission of this interview series is to talk to elite economists and ask them what is their views on the evolutions of macroeconomics since the Great Recession. We would introduce some of the new macroeconomics ideas which top economists are pondering in the last ten years. Hopefully, this should give us a good survey on how much macroeconomics, as a science, as the basis of policy tools, has improved (or worsened) since 2008.
The interview series mainly focus on the macroeconomics questions listed below:
1) What have economists learned from the Great Recession?
2) Monetary Policy and what is the limit?
3) Fiscal Policy and what it can do?
4) What else can we try? Fiscal Theory of Price Level?
5) What else can we try? Helicopter Money?
6) What else can we try? Central Bank Reserve as Monetary Tools?
7) DSGE – a problem or a solution?
8) Secular Stagnation and how to deal with it?
9) International Financial Flow – what are the unintended consequences?
10) What is the role of Finance in Macro?
11) Does Inequality have a role in Macro of the 21st Century?
12) Does Debt have a role in Marco of the 21st Century?
13) Does Politics have a role in Macro of the 21st Century?
We are now publishing one interview every two months but we are working to improve it much further. Our target is to publish new interviews bi-weekly. As you can guess, one of the major issues we are facing is that we are tight on funding and resources. If you can, we sincerely hope you can give us some support.
If you have any suggestions and comments on the WITGT21 project, or if you have a cooperation initiatives, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.